“TOLD THEM WE’RE GOING TO HIJACK HIM FROM THEM” : Newcastle United reportedly hijack £20m Sunderland transfer bid after Régis Le Bris admission

LISBON, PORTUGAL – SEPTEMBER 23: André Luiz of Rio Ave FC celebrates his goal during the Primeira Liga match between SL Benfica and Rio Ave at Estádio da Luz on September 23, 2025 in Lisbon, Portugal. (Photo by Maciej Rogowski/Eurasia Sport Images/Getty Images)

Sunderland’s £20million midfield pursuit has taken a new turn following comments from Régis Le Bris and fresh competition from elsewhere, as January preparations continue to gather pace.

Speculation around potential recruits has intensified, with several names linked in recent days. Among them is Rio Ave winger Andre Luiz, who had been reported in Portugal as drawing interest from Sunderland, Brentford, Stoke City, Portsmouth and Norwich City. However, Football League World claim Norwich are not planning a move, with sporting director Ben Knapper focusing on alternative wide options as their attacking rebuild continues.

Sunderland’s interest in Andre Luiz is understood to be genuine. The 23-year-old, contracted until 2028, has spoken in the past about the physical development that helped launch his senior career. Reflecting on his early days at Flamengo, he told O JOGO in October: “I looked at the players around me and thought, being this skinny, I had no chance. I was too weak for the first team and too good for the B team. But one day I scored three goals, and I never left the main squad again.” He also revealed how reviewing his own games has boosted his confidence and consistency, saying he now keeps the ball better and has improved with the support of those around him.

The Matteo Guendouzi situation has also shifted again. Football Insider report that Newcastle United believe they have a significant edge over Sunderland because they can offer European football and a larger wage package. This follows claims from Calcio Mercato that Sunderland have submitted a £20million offer for the Lazio midfielder. The Italian outlet added that although Lazio urgently need to generate funds, that figure is still likely to fall below their valuation of the 26-year-old.

Asked about the Guendouzi links ahead of the recent match at Fulham, Régis Le Bris offered a measured response. He acknowledged that he remains in contact with the Frenchman after their time together at Lorient but refused to confirm any pursuit. “It is too early to speak about the next transfer window,” he said. “We still have connections with players, and Matteo is one because I worked with him at Lorient. But at the minute nothing, it is too early. We have really good midfielders, so we will see.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *